Friday, March 4, 2011

EEK! Editing burnout!

Hello again everyone! I'd just like to celebrate because... this blog now has ten followers!!! YAY! -pops confetti cannons- Anyway I'm starting to become burned out by this whole editing thing! I don't know what to doooo! It's only March 4th! (the only day in the year that tells you to do something I might add) I don't think I can edit for an entire month! What was I thinking???
So here's what I decided: I have a nice little huge checklist of things to fix in this edit and I'm going to do that instead of going chapter by chapter. I'll go through and add little details every now and then but trying to detail my entire story might drive me insaaaaane. So far I've described the physical characteristics of my characters better and separated the big hug mess of Chapter Twelve. Now I have twenty-seven chapters. I'll post the list here(be warned it might all just be Gibberish)

List of Fixes needed for Draft Two


  • Describe the characters more in the beginning: What does Sam look like? Who is Tyler and why does Olivia love him so much (THE CHARACTERS AREN’T SUPPOSED TO BE MYSTERIOUS) 
  • TONS of detail in the first few chapters after the seizure: She’s seeing the world with super human senses. HELLO DETAILS???
  • What wasn’t Olivia supposed to hate David but in the end grow to like him?: His dark eyes are actually navy… Probably should add that.
  • Who are the Knoes? Describe Olivia’s family: Maybe write a few scenes where they have dinner together and watch T.V. And Liz…. Who is she to Olivia? Are they close?
  • Plot Hints needed: Adding a chapter of the PAV on T.V. Maybe after Olivia throws her pyscho fit they make her watch T.V. to calm down.
  • Talk about visiting the F.B.I building in Choir Class.
  • Talk more about Richard and his new found love: He originally was going to fall for Olivia but that was a bit cliché. Fix the confusing parts where it looks like he likes Olivia.
  • Perhaps include all the needed family, Richard and Wyatt details after Chapter Twelve: There’s a huuuuge gap b/w chapter 12 and 13. Fix it!
  • Chapter Twelve is too long: 23 pages? Really? Separate the random parts. Maybe make the guy visiting after Chapter 12.
  • Rethink the FBI Building scene: Is it really realistic? Maybe have them sneak in instead?
  • Have Wyatt give Olivia the pep talk before the White House concert: Sam’s not supposed be good at those types of things.
  • Sam doesn’t say “Right.” that’s Olivia: Sam says stuff like “Ummm,” “Wait,” and “Huh?”
  • Make sure to fix the time setting inconsistancies: Maybe make a timeline to make sure it works…
  • Have Tyler and Olivia work things out…sorta: Olivia doesn’t want friends but she still doesn’t want Tyler to not like her.
  • When Olivia has the nightmare right before she goes home make it a new chapter: don’t have anything leading up to it so it will have more of the surprise effect. When she wakes up have it be slower.
See what I mean? Gibberish. (Especially if you haven't read it!) If you do understand it and want to add more just comment on here. I really need the feedback! Thanks. Goodnight(:
-Peace&<3,
Angela

Editing Status
Words:62,832
Things Fixed: 3/15

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you try editing at least once a week and work on other things the rest of the time? Continuing to work on new things will keep you from getting bored and help you to keep developing as a writer. Or do a system like one short story and an edited chapter a week. I don't know how fast you work, but you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good idea. And considering I have like 10 other stories I'll definitely be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete