Thursday, June 27, 2013

Editing is the 7th layer of HELL

I never really got why Hell supposedly has 7 layers. Wouldn't it make more sense to have 6? Seven is supposedly a holy number I thought. Or maybe I'm just confused because it rhythms with Heaven. Wait... I'm getting off track.

So I'm on draft like 900 of my novel I Know How You Feel and I'm actually getting really good editing advice from a glorious editor friend. Monica is Godsent no doubt. She leaves edits but also little comments that make for a nice comic relief among the hours of hair pulling, insecure moments, and questioning if this is even worth it. Plus you can genuinely tell that she loves what she's doing. I need to figure out some way to pay her back. (Hmmm... isn't there this thing in the beginning of the book... what's it called? A dedication. Oh right!) Anyway I'm blessed to have her as an editor and even more so as a great friend!

Back to editing though, it's almost too tedious for me. I mean I usually never read books more than once or twice in a year and now I'm reading my own writing through over and over. (Oddly, enough I still love the book so maybe that's a good sign.) I want to say now that no matter what I will always hate editing! I mean to each their own but I really prefer writing without worrying about errors. I mean, people don't make painters go back and fix their abstract art! Too bad I really suck at painting. Computers and spellcheck really need to be more advanced. Although this new software for my Mac called Pages is pretty sweet so I might run it through their and see what it comes up with. The only problem is that the program is really for writing formal essays and thesis not novels.

I'm sure my publisher is close to wanting to wringe my next these days. I'm sorry though! It's just not ready! (They also do this weird thing where they call me and then leave messages with just elevator music. I think it's supposed to be passive aggressive or something. Who knows.) I think I'm gonna step up my game soon and try to tackle this beast of a novel and hopefully my fab editor will stick with me too.

That's all for my rant, adventurers!

Peace&<3,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment